- Helanthium ‘Quadricostatus’ from South America has characteristic light green leaves 10-15 cm long which offer a great contrast to the darker aquarium plants.
- It is most beautiful when planted in groups, each rosette becoming 15-20 cm wide.
- Thrives well even at a rather low light.
- In good conditions, it produces runners which spread over the bottom.
- Very pale leaves are a sign of a shortage of micro-nutrients.
- There is some confusion about the name of this plant, and it has been sold as Echinodorus bolivianus var. magdalenensis.