5cm - 6cm
The Pleco L204, scientifically known as Hypancistrus contradens, is a striking and desirable freshwater fish species that stands out for its unique appearance and valuable role in aquarium ecosystems. With its distinct patterning and behavior, the L204 Pleco is a popular choice among aquarists looking to add both aesthetic appeal and practical benefits to their tanks. Let's delve into the notable features, care requirements, and essential considerations for keeping the L204 Pleco in your aquarium:
- Beautiful Patterning: The L204 Pleco showcases a stunning combination of dark and light patterns, often featuring intricate stripes and spots.
- Unique Coloration: The distinct black and white contrast of its body makes it a visually captivating addition to your tank.
- Nocturnal Habits: L204 Plecos are primarily nocturnal, meaning they are more active during the night and may spend much of the day hiding.
- Algae Control: These plecos are known for their appetite for algae, which makes them valuable for maintaining a clean aquarium.
- Tank Size: Provide a tank of at least 30 gallons (113 liters) to accommodate their activity and growth.
- Hiding Spots: Incorporate hiding spots such as caves, driftwood, and plants to create a secure environment.
- Algae Consumption: L204 Plecos are efficient algae eaters, helping to control algae growth in your tank.
- Supplementary Diet: Offer a balanced diet by providing high-quality sinking pellets, vegetables, and occasional live or frozen foods.
- Temperature: Maintain the water temperature between 78°F and 84°F (25°C to 29°C).
- pH Level: Aim for a slightly acidic to neutral pH level between 6.0 and 7.5.
- Water Hardness: Provide moderate water hardness levels between 5 and 15 dGH.
- Tankmates: Choose peaceful and compatible tankmates that share similar water parameter requirements.
- Observation: Due to their nocturnal behavior, observe their activity during the evening to ensure they are thriving.