3cm - 4cm
Introduction: The Black Knight Ram, also known as the Black Ram, is a stunning and distinctive freshwater fish that captivates aquarists with its striking black coloration and unique personality. This dwarf cichlid is cherished for its beauty and peaceful nature, making it a fantastic addition to community aquariums.
- The Black Knight Ram boasts a deep, velvety black coloration that sets it apart from other Ram varieties.
- Their bodies are compact and elongated, with fin extensions that add to their elegance.
- These rams exhibit vibrant red eyes that create a striking contrast against their dark bodies.
Behavior and Compatibility:
- Black Knight Rams are generally peaceful and can coexist with a variety of peaceful tank mates.
- They are known for their distinct personalities, often displaying curious and playful behavior.
- Keep them in pairs or small groups to encourage their natural social interactions.
- Provide a well-maintained aquarium with stable water conditions.
- Maintain a water temperature between 78°F and 85°F (25°C to 29°C).
- Aim for a slightly acidic to neutral pH level between 6.0 and 7.0.
- Ensure the tank has plenty of hiding spots, plants, and caves for the rams to explore and claim territory.
- Black Knight Rams are omnivorous and accept a varied diet.
- Offer them high-quality flakes, pellets, and small live or frozen foods like brine shrimp, bloodworms, and daphnia.
- A balanced diet will enhance their coloration and overall health.
- These rams are known to be dedicated parents and may form monogamous pairs.
- Provide flat surfaces or caves for them to lay their eggs.
- Fry are cared for by the parents until they are independent.
Care and Considerations:
- Maintain excellent water quality through regular water changes and efficient filtration.
- Avoid housing them with aggressive or nippy tank mates, as their peaceful nature can make them vulnerable.
- Monitor their health and behavior, as any sudden changes could indicate stress or illness.