5cm - 6cm
5.5 - 7.2
The Black Venezuela Cory Catfish (Corydoras schultzei "Black Venezuela") is a rare color variant of the Gold Flash Cory Catfish. It displays black and dark maroon coloration across its entire body. Despite its "Venezuela" name, it is not from Venezuela, but is instead indigenous to Peru. This black variant was developed and line-bred by German aquarists in the 1990s and has since spread to aquarists around the world, but it does not seem to be commercially bred at nearly the level of other common Corydoras species.
The Black Venezuela Cory Catfish is a very peaceful schooling fish that is compatible with most nano aquarium animals, including dwarf cichlids and angelfish. It might prey on some smaller dwarf shrimp, but is safe with larger shrimp and most other peaceful ornamental invertebrates. It is a classic scavenger and will inhabit and feed at the aquarium floor, which should be comprised of sand or smooth gravel. Very coarse substrate can damage its delicate barbels and underbelly, so it should be kept in an aquarium with sand or very smooth gravel substrate. This fish is otherwise undemanding as it will accept most dry,frozen, and live foods. It is adaptable to most tropical freshwater conditions as long as standard regular maintenance is performed and sudden changes are avoided. While it is a scavenger, care must be taken to ensure that it receives a good variety of high quality foods and is not simply expected to eat leftover food that other fish do not eat.
- Very peaceful and hardy addition to almost any aquarium
- Compatible with most adult dwarf shrimp and other invertebrates
- Thrives in schools in well-planted aquaria
- Distinctive, rare coloration and group schooling behavior.
- Uncommon tank-bred fish
- Temperature: 72° - 82° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.5. Softer water is preferred, but this fish is somewhat flexible as long as sudden changes are avoided.
- KH: 2 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 15 gallons for a school of 6
- Diet: High-quality dry foods as well as live and frozen meaty foods. Variety is essential.
- Social behavior: Peaceful; requires a school of 6 or more to thrive.
- Origin: Tank-Bred, but indigenous to Peru
- Average adult size: 2.4 inches (6.1 cm)